Poise, focus, organization, creativity, and attention to detail are some of the qualities that led Kévin Clémenceau to win the latest edition of the AUI Pastry Cup.
He surprised and convinced the jury throughout the three rounds of the competition with his amazing pre-desserts, plated desserts, entremets, and bonbons. In this article, we take a look at the elegant Granny Smith Apple and Asian flavors entremet that he presented during the third round and that was part of the repertoire of the winner’s creations. Apple, almond and vanilla are the protagonists of this dessert.
Granny Smith and asian flavors entremet
granny smith gelee
- 330 g Caraman Apple puree 583101
- 45 g granulated sugar
- 80 g gelatine masse*
- 230 g granny smith brunoise
- 10 g lemon juice
- 1 piece lemon zest
- 1 g Sosa product citric acid 672171
- 15 g butter
In a sauce pan mel the gelatine masse with a part of the puree.
When the gelatin is completely dissolve add to the rest of the puree the lemon juice and zest and the acid citric.
Cut the granny smith brunoise, add 115g of the brunoise raw to the puree.
Cook the other one for a minute in a sauce pan with the butter, then add to the mix.
Pipe out into the first mold insert of the kit, 290g per mold.
Put in a blast freezer.
green mirror icing
- 150 g water
- 300 g glucose syrup
- 300 g granulated sugar
- 200 g condensed milk
- 140 g gelatine masse*
- 300 g Des alpes opal white chocolate
- 8 g Pastry ideal White cocoa butter 586078
- 2 to 4 g Pastry ideal green luster powder colors 586045
- 3 drops Pastry ideal green matte powder colors 586031
- 6 drops Pastry ideal yellow matte powder colors 586028
- 1 drops Pastry ideal brown matte powder colors 586064
In a sauce pan heat to 105C the water, glucose syrup and granulated sugar.
Pour on to the condensed milk, add the gelatin mass, opal chocolate and colorant.
Mix delicately with a hand mixer, without adding some air bubbles.
Reserve in a fridge before to use.
Temper at 26 to 27C for using.
ginger and lemongrass cremeux
- 725 g milk
- 55 g lemongrasse
- 110 g ginger
- 100 g sugar
- 106 g yolk egg
- 40 g «Cream powder» (corn starch)
- 39 g gelatine mass*
- 350 g frozen butter
Cut and put the butter in a freezer.
In a sauce pan put the milk and the lemongrass and boil.
Let the lemongrass infuse for 10 minutes, then add the ginger and boil again.
Let infuse for 10 minutes. Filter the infused milk and cook as a custard.
Out of the heat pour onto the Gelatine mass.
Make a emulsion with the frozen butter, use a hand mixer.
At 30C-32C pipe out in the second insert mold of the kit trinity by silikomart, in two times.
First weight at 300g for each mold then add the granny smith gelee, then shut the mold with 175g.
Put in the blast freezer.
- 50 g brown sugar
- 65 g almond flour
- 50 g all pupourse flour
- 50 g butter
- 1,5 g guerande fleur de sel
- 50 g Sosa product Almond crocanti diced 6772055
Mix all ingredients together in the kitchen aid except the almond crocanti.
When it is crumble enough add the almond crocanti.
Lay down to 3 mm between two parchment paper.
Then cut two rings of 6,7 * 3 inches.
Reserve in the freezer, reshape the top and the size of it by using a microplane.
Then reserve in the freezer until the « montage » of the entremets.
granny smith almond cream
- 90 g butter
- 80 g granulated sugar
- 80 g almond flour 204162
- 80 g eggs
- 170 g granny smith
In a kitchenaid mix butter and granulated sugar, then add the almond flour.
When well mixed add the eggs.
Use the rest of the brunoise cut from the Granny smith gelee and add the chopped granny smith to the almond cream.
Pipe out the mix on the almond streusel between the two rounding mold.
Bake it at 170C for 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove from the mold when possible and reserve in the freezer.
vanilla and lemon bavaroise mousse
- 162 ml milk
- 162 g heavy cream 35%
- 85 g sugar
- 85 g yolk egg
- 3 pieces lemon zests
- 1 pieces Frutta prima original thitian vanilla beans 596102
- 72 g gelatine mass*
- 325 g whipped cream 35%
In a saucepan mix milk and heavy cream 35% add the vanilla bean already scratched and the lemons zests, make it boil.
Infuse for 5 minutes, remove the vanilla bean and the lemons zest.
Then cook as a Anglaise cream, 83C.
Pour onto the gelatin mass, allow to cool down to 24C in a fridge.
Whipped the Cream 35% until it is still soft and smooth.
At 24C mix the Anglaise cream and the whipped cream together.
Pipe out the bavaroise cream into the last mold of the trinity kit, weight 300g and insert the second frozen insert, add 70g of the bavaroise cream and add the almond cream and streusel insert to shut it.
Reserve in the blast freezer until being able to apply the green mirror icing.
white chocolate decors
- qs g Des alpes opal white chocolate
- qs g Pastry ideal White cocoa butter 586078
Tempere the Opal white chocolate and the white cacao butter at 29C.
Make some white chocolate « flames ».
Allow it to crystalize, on a yule log mold.
Make a ring of white chocolate with rodoide plastic paper.
granny smith slices
- 40 g granny smith
- 300 ml water
- 15 g Sosa product Ascorbique acid 672172
Mix the cold water and the ascorbic acid in a bowl.
Cut some nice slices in the apple and plunge it into the mix.
Remove and dry it before to decorate the cake.
- 290 g (amount for one entremets) / 580 g (amount for two entremets) granny smith gelee
- 475 g (amount for one entremets) / 950 g (amount for two entremets) ginger and lemongrasse crémeux
- 370 g (amount for one entremets) / 740 g (amount for two entremets) vanilla and lemon bavaroise mousse
- 190 g (amount for one entremets) / 380 g (amount for two entremets) granny smith almond cream
- 60 g (amount for one entremets) / 120 g (amount for two entremets) almond streusel
- 200 g (amount for one entremets) / 400 g (amount for two entremets) green mirror icing
- 20 to 30 g (amount for one entremets) / 40 to 60 g (amount for two entremets) white chocolate decors
- 10 to 20 g (amount for one entremets) / 20 to 40 g (amount for two entremets) granny smith slices
- 1 g (amount for one entremets) / 2 g (amount for two entremets) golden leaves
Heat the green mirror icing to 27C.
Remove the entremets from the mold.
Glaze both entremets.
Put onto the tray or plate.
Decorate with the white chocolate decoration elements, add the green apple slices and some gold leaves.
Remove 30 minutes before to be serve from the fridge.
You may enjoy this entremets with a glass champagne or a brut cider.
Gelatin mass*= 1g of gelatin for 7g of water, for an easiest way to be precise of the how much gelatin I use in the recipes
Discover here creations of the other two finalists of the competition