Pierre Marcolini is part of a plethora of professionals who have made their passion an inexhaustible source of profitability. A passion and conviction that began to come forth when he decided he wanted to make chocolates that make him happy. This story begins in 1995, when he opens his first boutique in Belgium and presents chocolates that at that time were different, based on infusions, spices, and in reduced formats of no more than 15 or 20 grams.
One of his favorite sources of inspiration is telling the story and the aromatic notes behind the varieties of cocoa he uses. An obsession that translates, above all, in an artisan craft which relies on the purity in the flavor of the chocolate, without altering it with sugar or vanilla to bolster it on the palette. Today it is possible to translate this discourse to the final product and connect with the most demanding and informed consumer that this sector has ever had. This is how he covers his bars and the rest of his Marcolini chocolates.
One of the experiences that marked the career path of this professional from Verona, Italy, is his time in Maurice Bernachon’s chocolate factory in Lyon. Since then, it is clear that in order to add value, he must control the entire production process of chocolate, leading us to know the reality and the quality of everything that surrounds cacao plantations first-hand.
Today, Marcolini is one of the ambassadors of Belgian chocolate with the greatest international projection, with forty boutiques spread over several countries and many pop up shops all over Europe. A point of sale that usually has a studied and sometimes spectacular staging, such as the summer launch of his ice cream collection.
- 1991 – Named “premier pâtissier glacier de Belgique” (best Belgian cake-and-icecream maker)
- 1995 – Wins the title of Champion du Monde de Pâtisserie in Lyon and opens his first shop
- 2007 – Nestlé acquires a 6% stake in the business. Marcolini then creates a chocolate flavour for Nestle subsidiary Nespresso, whereupon Nestle increases its share to 29%.
- Éclats, Les Chocolats de L’iris, 2007.
- Cacao, de la Fève à la Tablette, Éditions de la Martinière, 2015.
- Best Of Pierre Marcolini, Alain Ducasse Éditions, 2015.
- In January 2015, Pierre Marcolini received the honorary title of “Officier de l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole” (officer of the order of agricultural merit).
In my bars, I don’t add vanilla or salt, I look for pure expression, the percentage of sugar that I incorporate is only to reduce bitterness
Featured in so good #17