The list of nominees to win the James Beard Awards was announced on Wednesday, March 14, at a ceremony in Parc by Stephen Starr in Philadelphia. These awards recognize the chefs and other leaders that make the food culture of the United States more diverse and sustainable for all.
Among the many categories that will be awarded, we wanted to take a look at the two that have a direct link with bakery and professional pastry:
Outstanding Pastry Chef – Nominees
- Kelly Fields. Willa Jean. New Orleans
- Meg Galus (so good #12). Boka. Chicago
- Margarita Manzke. République The Angels
- Dolester Miles. Highlands Bar & Grill. Birmingham, AL
- Diane Yang. Spoon and Stable. Minneapolis
Outstanding Baker – Nominees
- Dianna Daoheung. Black Seed Bagels NYC
- Zachary Golper. Bien Cuit. Brooklyn, NY
- Maura Kilpatrick. Sofra Bakery and Café. Cambridge, MA
- Belinda Leong and Michel Suas. B. Patisserie. San Francisco
- Alison Pray. Standard Baking Co. Portland, ME
- Greg Wade. They publish Quality Bread. Chicago
The winners will be announced at the final gala that will take place on May 7 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.