Name of the school: Department of Tourism & Hospitality, Cork Institute of Technology, Cork, Ireland.
Year of foundation: 1973
Brief history of the school: Located on an extensive campus in Bishopstown, Cork, the institute has 17,000 students (both full-time and part-time). The Institute has previously been named ‘Institute of Technology of the Year for Ireland’ by The Sunday Times University Guide. The Department of Tourism and Hospitality is an integral part of CIT and encompasses the areas of Culinary Arts, Culinary Studies, Tourism, Hospitality and Bar Management. It has approximately 650 students and a team of dedicated student-centred staff across these disciplines. It is located in a modern purpose-built building which includes Training Restaurants, a Training Bar, a Cookery Demonstration Theatre and Demonstration Kitchens, including a dedicated Pastry Kitchen.
Past and current students have won acclaimed titles such as Knorr Young Chef of the Year and have been medal winners in the European Association of Hotel & Tourism Schools Competitions.
Location: The Department of Tourism & Hospitality is located on the Cork Institute of Technology Bishopstown Campus in Cork Ireland.
Brief description of its pastry training program: Pastry is an integral part of the following programmes:
– Culinary Arts, Level 7 Award, Bachelor of Business in Culinary Arts, 3 years (6 semesters)
– Culinary Studies, Level 6 Award, Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Studies, 2 Years (4 semesters)
– Bachelor of Arts in Culinary Arts, Level 7, part-time
– Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery Total Immersion Programme, Level 6, 12 months (9 months of 3 days in college & 2 days working in industry)
– Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery, Level 6, 2 Years Day Release
– Bakery Techniques – evening certificate course
– Pastry: Tarts & Small Gateaux – evening certificate course
Other facilities: students’ accommodation, work experience, demonstrations, stores, published books…
Students at various levels gain practical experience on placements in Ireland, Europe and America. Based on the Bishopstown Campus, students have access to a wide range of facilities and services including an excellent Library, IT facilities, student accommodation village, sports and recreation facilities and student supports.